Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Running....

Welcome to some early morning musings where clearity is not promised.

Today is my nephew's first day of school. So I called him to wish him luck.

When I asked him if he was a little nervous, he offered up a one word answer - terrified.

See..all of his 3rd grade friends were not going to be in his 4th grade class.

I can understand the fear. It's like running a race with strangers who, should you trip and fall, may or may not stop to help you up. Scary little sink or swim mentality for a nine year old, I think.

As adults, it's called adaptation. Learning to keep running no matter how much the pack of animals around you changes - baring down and running through the metaphorical leg cramps, back pain, headaches and sore muscles.

I can see why it would make a kid barfy from fear - it makes me barfy to think of all the change - losses and gains - we go through in life.

I wish I could be there with him in school - so he'd never feel lonely or scared - or like nobody cared. But I can't'.

So, much like with myself, I kinda hope and pray stuff works out and his sweet little personality doesn't get crushed in the process of getting ready for the race.

Good luck to you and yours in the race. This runner's taking a detour - maybe the scenic route? I can't run with the pack anymore.



B

1 comment:

Joonie said...

Running with the pack is overrated. Besides, you have your own cool way of being you, Bliss. Be true to that. Hugs!