Sunday, May 6, 2012

Shepard Fairey Art Exhibit @ The Albert Docks Art Gallery

So, it's no secret that I love street art and graffiti art.  There's something so free and energetic about it - it's hard to explain if you haven't seen anything but gang tags (no, really). 

I'm a huge fan of Banksy, and of COURSE, Shepard Fairey (I also blogged my trip to the Mr. Brainwash exhibit in Florida back in December).  So I started searching in SL for art exhibits (something I haven't been able to do in FOREVER), I was really excited to find a Fairey exhibition going on at the Albert Docks Art Gallery.  The SL gallery is based off of the real Albert Docks in England.

I didn't think it was really right for me to post pictures of the exhibit here - mostly because I think you should experience it for yourself, and then there's always the nagging question of whether or not Mr. Fairey has actually given any permission for this exhibit.  While street artists not not really concerned with copyright infringement, it just didn't feel right to me. 

If you're not familiar with the "Obey" artist, then perhaps you recognize the red, white and blue hued picture of President Obama that swept the nation during his election.  That's his work - while there's still copyright infringement issues with the Associated Press, I think he altered it enough to make it his own.  But that's a WHOLE other post.

I did, however, snap one picture of my avi with the rotating image of the artist. 


Check out the exhibit.  It's not huge, but it's pretty interesting.  And if you want to see more, you can always check out his website!

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Jeogori/80/53/102

http://obeygiant.com/

His newest exhibition in NYC (Pace Prints) is on my list of visits for this week.  If you're in the area, give it a shot.

Also, for some more insight into the world of street art, you can watch (on Hulu Plus or DVD) "Exit Through the Giftshop", which is a phenomenally hilarious movie by the anonymous artist, Banksy that chronicles the creation of MBW. 

Aaaanyway!  That's enough from me. 

Hope you have a wonderful week.  :) 


XOXO,
B

No comments: