Monday, June 16, 2008

Friendship SL Style

So yesterday I got to talking to a friend of mine. And I got to thinking how alike we were..even though she half a world away from me.

Now..imagine this..I met her in a crowded room of 30 or so avis. We were sitting on couches across from each other chatting about fashion at random. I loved her dress and she loved my boots.

And thus, a friendship was born.

The thing about SL is that friendships can be forged over the simplest things. Shoes, hair, clothes, lucky chairs and music.

Anyway, so we were talking about SL and how funny it is that people sometimes make more of a concentrated effort to 'pay it forward' in SL than in RL. We agreed on the common attitude of..'you get what you give'. If you try to be a good person..it's more than likely that the people involed will try and return the same treatment.

True, no? If someone's always pleasant towards you - says hello, how are you, etc., aren't you more inclined to be equally as pleasant to them? Now if someone sees you..and consistently looks through you like glass..well..you're more inclined to give them the finger, aren't you?

So here's the thing. I get that some people don't like me for whatever reason.

But at the end of the day, I can always say to myself that I tried to spread good karma.

I try my best to take care of the people around me. I try to IM my friends at least once a day. I try to invite them wherever I am and wherever I know they will be comfortable. I try to spread myself around so that nobody feels used or neglected. I try to share with others - sale info, shopping LMs and food. I try to attend every party I am invited to - and believe me, in SL that's some job. I try to remember all important dates to the people around me. I try to catch my dj friends at least once a week. I try to shop from the various stores/shops of my friends. And I try to be tactful and honest at the same time.

It's a lot of trying, but when you can IM someone and have them tell you that they've had a shitty day and your sending them a random gift card just brightened it up that much..well..it's worth it.

And yes, I do delete people I don't IM with. I only keep my friends and people I really like on my friends list. I don't keep strangers on or accept random friendships. I don't see the point.

:) So I'm happy I'm always busybusy in SL with my friends. I think I'd go nuts if I sat in one spot for too long.

So pay it forward because what you sow today, you will reap tomorrow.

And investing in your loved ones is the best investment of all. :)


XOXO,
B

No comments: