Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Being a Kid Again....

So today, I played hookey from work.

I picked up my dad, my sister and her two kids..and we decided to spend the day together. Later in the day, I had to take my dad to the doctor for his appointments - so we figured we had the whole day to do something, have lunch and then go to the doctor's.

So we drove around and did the little errands with him.

And then decided.

Let's go to Coney Island.

I haven't been to Coney Island in YEARS.

And we were off!

Bought kiddie ride tickets..I rode the Tilt A Whirl three times with my 8 year old nephew and the Dizzy Dragons and he took his 15 month old sister onto the fire truck and the choo choo train.

And as we were getting ready to leave, I realized that we couldn't leave without going on the roller coaster. But.

My nephew wasn't tall enough.

My sister refused to ride.

And of course, my neice is too small.

As we walked by, my dad turned back.

He bought two tickets.

And......15 minutes later, we were getting off of a ride I never thought my 69 year old dad would ever get on. Not at this age and right now.

But it was AMAZING.

Just the whole day.

We had lunch, dropped off my sis and kids..and then I drove my dad to the docs.

He got new meds, and the old ones are hitting the garbage - hopefully he'll start feeling better now. :)

So! I had a great day. Riding kiddie rides..and big kid rides...and eating pretzels..and just having fun.

Being a kid is so underappreciated. You spend all of your time wishing you were older.

:) Sucks to be grown up - but every now and then you can have a blast as an adult being a kid. Holding your dad's hand as you walk down the same boardwalk you ran down as a kid.

Yeah....those are the best days - when the past and the present can meet. :)



B

2 comments:

wtchy said...

oooooo i LOVE roller coasters! my dad took me on my first one when i was very young. younger than the age requirement but i met the height standard so my dad told them i was 8 :)
one of those great childhood memories, the feeling of being scared sh**less but also the feeling that you can't WAIT to go again! HOOO!
thanks for the reminder!

Joonie said...

I love this post! thanks for sharing it. I love roller coasters, too!