Sunday, June 12, 2011

Friendship and the Virtual World

Why, hello!  :)


I'm Blissie Boucher..a four-year veteran of Second Life.


Close your mouth - yes, people DO make it to four years without having some kind of nervous breakdown (personally, I think the key is to take a break every now and then - but that's a whole other post).


See, my favorite part of Second Life is (and always has been) my friends.  I am, after all, married to my best friend.  :)  But there are some things that I think new people in Second Life need to know (ya know..be told versus learn). 


You see, just because it's a cartoon world, doesn't mean everyone within SL is playing a part.  Some people are simply just..themselves - only in cartoon form.  Having fun..telling jokes..enjoying music and exploring new and exciting places.  Lots of people in SL even do the unthinkable..and wear their heart on their sleeve. 


And just because it's virtual, doesn't mean that emotions are any less real to some folks. 


So here's the thing:  when you make a friend in Second Life, treat them the same way as you would like to be treated.  Be kind, be generous, be caring and being genuine.  And if you cannot be any or all of the above to someone, then leave people alone. 


The rules of friendship are the same - in any world. 


Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

Not a hard concept.  Good idea for the virtual world..and the real world.

I've seen it all kids - really..I have.

Just remember, when you're in crisis and lost..when your heart is broken..or when your whole world is collapsing around you for one reason or another..your friends are the ones that will pick you up, dust you off, and help you carry on.  So don't mistreat them..because karma is a bitch.  A big..cruel bitch with a nasty sense of humor. 

I've been so blessed in my Second Life to have the most amazing friends ever.  Friends that have put me together more times than I can count..suffered through my ramblings..my fashion shows and they've never abandoned me - even when I more than deserved it.

If you have real friends..ones that have and always had your back..THANK them.  Because being a friend doesn't come with pay (though it probably should), just your love and appreciation. 

And you..well..you'll know those friends.  They're the ones whose true colors are always the same - through good days and bad days.  And when the chips are down..or a situation doesn't benefit them..you'll know who really was never a friend to start with. 

A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future,
and accepts you just the way you are.

Just my words of advice for today.  :)  Have a happy Sunday. 


XOXO,
B

No comments: