Friday, December 28, 2012

A Blogger's Dilemma...

So here's the thing...

Blogging can be difficult.

I'm not trying to say I save lives or anything, but it can be a tough task.  As a blogger, you have to find a way to put your thoughts and emotions into a coherent post.  You need to engage your audience without seeming like you're 1) a moron 2) stuck up or 3) an all around jackass.  I think I'm 50/50 on those three - mostly because I blog just to get things off of my chest.  Depending on the topic...it can go either way, and I never really know how you guys feel about a blog post.  *insert impossibly awkward silence*

Anyway.

Now, if blogging is difficult, fashion blogging is downright IMPOSSIBLE.  Fashion blogging is a whole other animal.  You've got WAY more to consider, such as:

1.  Credits.  EVERYONE needs to be credited.  If you forget, you're the plague of the Earth.  If you mistakenly say one designers name instead of another, you're a liar and a fraud.  Seriously.

2.  Photos!  To be a fashion blogger, you have to take photos.  Pics.  Snappies.  Whatever you call them, you can't blog without them.  They need to show you AND the item being blogged about in a flattering light.  Otherwise, people will post on your blog that your pics are too dark, or too photoshopped or not photoshopped enough.  *exhales*

And above all else, your photo needs to be original.  As a fashion blogger, I seriously worship the ground that Stella Stapleton, Sylvia Olivier, Lysie Aristocrat, Strawberry Singh and Marleen Vaughan walk on.  Their pictures are always fresh, original, AMAZING and fitting to the blog post.  I can understand seeing someone's photo and saying.. "Wow, that's great.  I'd love to do something like that."  I can't understand "Wow, that's great.  I'm going to copy it exactly."  Don't do that.

3.  Staying Fresh.  It's not easy.  Believe me.  To blog daily is a job I am unable to undertake.  So, I try to blog as much as I can when I have the chance.  I don't blog new releases.  Why?  Because if you are a fashion blog reader.....you've seen them.  The same dresses, the same jackets, the same hairs, the same skins, the same boots.  Why on Earth would you want to read five blogs that post the exact same item during the same one week span?

I like to think that I blog things that are not always mainstream - things you don't always see when you go to an SL party.  At least this way, when folks are blogging the new "bloggers pack" from whatever the day's most popular store is, you can click over to the Black Sheep Fashion Diaries and see something different.  Not that there's anything WRONG with blogging something from a blogger's pack.  A lot of talented bloggers do it, and that's perfectly cool.

But yeah, staying fresh is tough.  But it's fun when you can look at a blog post you did and feel that pride and amazing feeling of accomplishment for what you've done. 

4.  Content.  What are you blogging?  Some people can blog a flour sack and it'll be really trendy.  Others can look like fools.  Really, it all depends on how you present it.  I love the people who don't say anything about their outfit (aside from credits), but just post song lyrics..or poems instead.  It's so cool without being pretentious (and that's the name of the game sometimes).  I'm not so much a fan of people that dissect an entire outfit - including the intricate details, yada yada.  Ultimately, don't fashion blog crap text (that's a personal preference there.  Someone, somewhere may love technical blog posting on fashion).


So now you ask...what started this chatter in my brain that became a blog post chattering at you?

Well.  Every now and then this thing happens when people blog the same thing.  It happens.  Tonight I looked at my reading list and I saw two blog posts that were identical.  The pictures, the items being blogged, the EVERYTHING was the same.  I'm not saying someone did or did not do something here.  I'm just saying...................nothing.  I'm actually saying nothing.

But I'm saying something.  And I hope if you take anything away from this blog post, it's the following:


I like to read blog posts that aren't a carbon copy of another person's thoughts, emotions, creativity and imagination.  And you should too.

I'm Blissie Boucher, and those were my two cents.



B

No comments: